17 May May is Healthy Vision Month
Keep your eyes healthy and safe throughout the year.
Here are some tips to help ensure good vision:
· Get a Comprehensive Dilated Exam – Our doctors do much more than just determine your prescription for eyeglasses or contact lenses during an annual exam. They also check your eyes for common eye diseases and evaluate your eyes as an indicator of your overall health. Unfortunately, treatable diseases like glaucoma and diabetes, if ignored, can cause permanent vision loss.
· Live a Healthy Lifestyle – It is beneficial to set personal goals, especially when it comes to your overall health and wellness. Remember, the benefits of an active lifestyle extend beyond your waistline to your eyes. Maintaining a healthy weight and stable blood sugar helps keep diseases like diabetic retinopathy in check. Exercise in conjunction with healthy eating habits will improve your ocular health. You can start slowly with a simple walk to get your body moving.
· Know Your Family History – Ask family members if they have a history of eye issues like blindness, diabetes, glaucoma, hypertension, or macular degeneration. Being armed with this information will keep your doctor informed so they can properly monitor your condition year after year.
· Use Protective Eyewear – Be smart. Protective eyewear prevents 90 percent of all eye injuries.
· Wear Sunglass Protection – Proper sunglass protection is the key to shielding your eyes from sun-related damage all year round. Sunglasses should be worn any time you are outdoors. The best sunglasses offer 100 percent UV absorption and are of the best optical quality.
Eye health tips courtesy of the National Eye Institute.