We tend to put celebrities up on a pedestal, but they are people just like us. They take vacations, go to the movies, shop for groceries, laugh out loud, and, yes, deal with the same issues we do – including eye health issues. One positive thing is that when a celebrity deals with something personal, it shines a light of awareness. These celebs have embraced the thing that makes them unique. In many cases their diagnosis cemented personal and professional success.
POOR VISION – Nerdly reports that Johnny Depp revealed in a Rolling Stone interview that he not only has blurry natural vision but is nearly blind in his left eye. It doesn’t stop there — he is nearsighted in his right eye. The result? According to the actor, he can only see a few inches in front of his face without his glasses. Other celebs like Depp struggled with poor vision, but opted for LASIK vision correction surgery include:
- Brad Pitt, actor, producer, humanitarian (Seven 1995, Fight Club 1999, Mr.& Mrs. Smith 2005, Moneyball 2011)
- Jessica Simpson, recording artist, actress, television personality, businesswoman, and fashion designer (Irresistible 2001, In This Skin 2003, Public Affair 2006, TV show Fashion Star with Elle Macpherson 2011, documentary series The Price of Beauty 2010)
- Kim Kardashian, social media and television personality, socialite, fashion designer, businesswoman, actress, and household name (Keeping Up With The Kardashians 2007-2014)
- Cindy Crawford, supermodel, actress, and entrepreneur (Cindy Crawford Furniture, Meaningful Beauty skin care line)
- Nicole Kidman, actress, singer, and producer (Dead Calm 1989, Malice 1993, Batman Forever 1995, To Die For 1995, Happy Feet 2006, Grace of Monaco 2014)
- Julianne Moore, actress and children’s author (Nine Months 1995, Boogie Nights 1997, The Kids Are All Right 2010, Carrie 2013, The Hunger Games 2014 )
- Reese Witherspoon, actress and producer (Cruel Intentions 1999, American Psycho 2000, Legally Blonde 2001, Walk the Line 2005, Water for Elephants 2011, This Means War 2012, The Good Lie 2014)
- Kristin Cavallari, actress, fashion designer, and TV personality (The Hills 2006-2010 and Dancing with the Stars 2011)
- Richard Branson, English businessman and investor, most well known for the Virgin Group which comprises more than 400 companies (He made several world record breaking attempts–His hot air balloon “Virgin Atlantic” crossed the Atlantic 1986).
STRABISMUS is a failure of the two eyes to maintain proper alignment and work together as a team. Each eye has six external muscles (called the extraocular muscles) that control eye position and movement. For normal binocular vision, the position, neurological control, and functioning of these muscles for both eyes must be coordinated perfectly. Read on to learn about a few more female celebrities with the same condition that you may or may not have noticed during their performances or photo ops.
- Actress and singer, Kristen Bell, has a lazy eye. Nerdly reported Bell is quite secure about the condition, having even named her lazy eye “Wonky,” and explains the problem is worse when fatigues sets in. Bell is best known for her roles in Veronica Mars 2004, Couples Retreat 2009, Frozen 2013, and House of Lies 2014.
- Melissa Joan Hart, actress, television director, and television producer (Clarissa Explains It All 1991-1994, Sabrina the Teenage Witch 1996-2003, Season 9 of Dancing with the Stars 2009, Melissa & Joey since 2010).
- Robin Tunnney actress (Empire Records 1995, The Craft 1996, End of Days 1999, Paparazzi 2004, The Zodiac 2006, The Mentalist 2008).
- Ashley Simpson, singer-songwriter, and actress (Pieces of Me 2004, Melrose Place 2009, Chicago 2009).
- Paris Hilton socialite, actress, and entertainer (The Simple Life 2003-2007, The Cat in the Hat 2003, Raising Helen 2004, The World According To Paris 2011).
Let’s now explore the realm of male celebrities — here is a sampling of six well-known, accomplished professionals with a diagnosis of strabismus.
- Forest Whitaker, actor, producer, and director (Fast Times at Rigemont High 1982, Platoon 1986, The Color of Money 1986, Good Morning Vietnam 1987, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samura 1999, The Butler 2013, Fruitvale Station 2013).
- Taylor Lautner actor, model, and martial artist (Cheaper By The Dozen 2 2005, Twilight 2008, The Twilight Saga: New Moon 2009, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 & 2 2009 & 2011).
- Topher Grace, actor, (That ‘70s Show 1998-2006, Spider-Man 3 2007, Predators 2010, The Calling 2014).
- Andy Garcia, actor, (The Godfather Part III 1990, When a Man Loves A Woman 1994, Dangerous Minds 1995, Stand and Deliver 1988, Ocean’s 11 2001, Ocean’s 12 2004, Ocean’s 13 2007).
- Hayden Christensen, actor and producer, (The Virgin Suicides 1999, Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones 2002, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 2005, Factory Girl 2006, Awake 2007, Jumper 2008).
- Talk show host and author, Andy Cohen, also lands in this group. Executive Producer of The Real Housewives franchise and hosts the network’s highly rated reunion specials. He also authored, Most Talkative: Stories from the Frontlines of Pop Culture published by St. Martins. Cohen is a regular on the Today Show and Morning Joe and has cohosted Live! with Kelly and Michael, The View, Anderson Live and the 10:00am hour of Today. He has also been a guest on Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.